Saturday, November 27, 2010
2 ripe avocados
2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 Jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
3-4 scallions coarsely chopped
1 cup fresh coriander, coarsley chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4- 1/2 cup olive oil
Juice of half a lemon
Juice of 1 lime
sea salt to taste
-Peel and seed avocados, mash with hands or wooden spoon
-Add cumin, lemon and lime, and olive oil. Mix thoroughly
-add tomatoes, pepper, scallions and coriander, combine gently
-salt to taste (wary of salt on nacho chips)
1 package of coconut
1 package of chocolate chips
1/4 cup of ground flax
1 can of condensed milk (sweetened)
Mix ingredients together and plog onto parchment paper in little blobs. Bake at 320 for 18 mins
Saturday, November 06, 2010
I found this recipe on Savvy Mom and tried them tonight. They were delicious and a great way to sneak in extra veggies.
Makes 12 Mini Meatloaves
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground turkey (or pork)
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ¾ cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a cooking spray or cooking oil, lightly grease a 12 cup muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix together salsa, ketchup, mustard and brown sugar and set aside.
- Cook onions and garlic in olive oil in a small skillet, over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, turkey, carrot, spinach, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, egg, salt and pepper, using a fork or your hands to mix until combined.
- Stir in onion mixture.
- Fill each muffin tin to the top with the meatloaf mixture and top with salsa sauce.
- Bake meatloaf muffins in the centre of the oven for approximately 20 minutes or until cooked through.
- Five minutes before they are finished, sprinkle meatloaf muffins with shredded cheese.
Good to know: These are great to serve on playdates or when you have a group of toddlers to feed. Freeze extras in deep containers to prevent the topping from sticking to the lid. Leave the cheese off and add when they are thawed and reheated.
This recipe was posted on Savvymom.ca in November 2009.
Wednesday, September 22, 2010
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 4 hours on high
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3/4 cup honey
3/4 cup lite soy sauce
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger root
1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drained with juice
1. Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook chicken thighs just until evenly browned on all sides. Place thighs in a slow cooker.
2. In a bowl, mix honey, soy sauce, ketchup, garlic, ginger, and reserved pineapple juice. Pour into the slow cooker.
3. Cover, and cook 4 hours on High. Stir in pineapple tidbits just before serving.
4. Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Remove thighs from slow cooker. Blend the cornstarch mixture into remaining sauce in the slow cooker to thicken. Serve sauce over the chicken.
Saturday, September 18, 2010
Monday, August 09, 2010
1 pound ground beef
1 15-oz can sweet corn, drained
1 cup mild, chunky salsa
1/4 cup sliced black olives
1 pkg cooked egg noodles
1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup taco sauce
1 package taco seasoning mix
1/2 cup tomato sauce
Cook egg noodles according to instructions, drain. Meanwhile, brown beef in a skillet until brown and fully cooked. Drain any grease. In a bowl, combine all ingredients, then pour into a freezer container or a 9x13 baking dish. Freeze (may want to allow it to come down to room temperature before placing in freezer)
On cooking day, thaw completely in fridge (take it out the night before or morning of). In a preheated 325F oven, cook for 30-45 minutes, or until bubbly and completely hot throughout. Serve!
Sunday, July 04, 2010
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk
tbsp butter, melted
1/2 cup finely chopped ham
1/2 cup cooked spinach, finely chopped and squeezed dry
oil to brush the pan
Combine flour and salt in a medium bowl. Create a well in the center and add eggs. Blend together with fork (the mixture will be very thick) Slowly add milk, stirring thoroughly. Add melted butter and mix again. Chill mixture for 2 to 3 hours or overnight in your fridge. Just before cooking, add ham and spinach mixing well.
To cook heat a large pan over medium heat. Lightly brush with cooking oil and spoon one tbsp of batter for each cake. When top of pancake begins to dry around edges flip and cook for 1 minute more.
Makes 24 pancakes.
Can serve with yogurt, sour cream, fruit puree or with some melted cheese on top.
Sunday, June 27, 2010
-1/2 cup (1 stick) (113 grams) unsalted butter, melted
-3/4 cup (160 grams) light brown sugar
-2 large eggs, lightly beaten
-1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure vanilla extract
-2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
-1 cup (240 ml) fresh strawberries (cut into bite sized pieces)
-2 1/4 cups (295 grams) all-purpose flour
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon (4 grams) ground cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon (2.5 grams) salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners or grease with butter or a vegetable spray.
In a small saucepan melt the butter. Set aside.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together the brown sugar, eggs, vanilla extract and mashed banana. Add the melted butter to the brown sugar mixture and stir to combine.
In another large bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Gently fold in the berries, making sure they are coated with flour. This helps to prevent the berries from sinking during baking. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are just combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.
Divide the batter evenly among the 12 muffin cups, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a tester inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
Makes 12 regular sized muffins.
* 1/2 cup margarine (softened)
* 1 cup sugar
* 2 large eggs (slightly beaten) or 1/2 cup egg substitute
* 1 cup sour cream
* 1 teaspoon vanilla
* 1 cup flour
* 1 cup oats
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1 teaspoon baking powder
* 3/4 teaspoon salt or as desired
* Walnut pieces - 1 to 1-1/2 cups of large sized pieces or smaller sized chop if using mini-muffin pans
* Cooking spray
1. Heat oven to 325 degrees.
2. If using standard muffin pans, spray lightly with cooking spray.
3. If using silicone muffin pans, do not spray.
4. Cream/mix together in large bowl the margarine, sugar, eggs, sour cream and vanilla. Stir until well blended.
5. Stir together in another bowl flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine well.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until well blended.
7. Fill muffin pans of desired size about half full.
8. Insert 3-4 walnut pieces into each portion of muffin batter and push into batter. The muffin will bake around the walnut pieces. Or you can chop the walnuts more coarsely and add to the batter - or spoon in less dough, drop in a few walnut pieces, then top with additional muffin batter.
9. Bake 15-18 minutes for regular size muffins or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. If using mini-muffin pan, check after 13 minutes and thereafter until done.
Submitted By: Ellen Rainey
Photo By: Kelly Krocker
"This is wonderful hot or cold, for breakfast or a dessert. A Definite Family Favorite."
2 cups fresh strawberries
3 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups chopped pecans (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter and flour two 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
2. Slice strawberries, and place in medium-sized bowl. Sprinkle lightly with sugar, and set aside while preparing bread mixture.
3. Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in large bowl: mix well. Blend oil and eggs into strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to flour mixture, blending until dry ingredients are just moistened. Stir in pecans. Divide batter into pans.
4. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until tester inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes. Turn loaves out, and cool completely.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2010 Allrecipes.com
Printed from Allrecipes.com 6/27/2010